Monday, August 9, 2010
We are still here! We are still working on the polyurethane floors. It is a super slow process. We've busy been sanding, wiping, coating and then drying for some days. In between that, we have been busy with a garage sale (first of many), construction on our house and a vacation. Jim Bob is starting back in the studio to produce work for the big show in October, The Texas Clay Festival. That means that the bus will take the back burner until November. I'm sure there will be intermittent work between now and then but probably nothing drastic. We did buy our kitchen cabinets at Ikea while we were in Round Rock. The cabinets are in boxes in our kitchen. I should take a picture of that. It will probably take us until November to put all those freakin' cabinets together! Got to love Ikea! Jim Bob wanted me to give a "shout out" to Rachael at Ikea. She really knows her Ikea kitchen software. She got us hooked up and squared away, super patient and easy to work with. Highly recommended! Thanks Rachael!
Jim Bob is still applying poly to the floors. Today, he got up early and applied the third coat. It's looking great.
This time around, Jim Bob thought he would try out a new applicator. He said it worked much better than the sponge business. It seemed like it went a lot faster.
You can see that line between the 3rd and 2nd coat of polyurethane. The grain is really looking nice. I think we have 2 more to go.
Sunday, August 1, 2010
The first coat of polyurethane is down. The floor is soaking it right up. We tried applying the poly with a sponge roller but that put too many air bubbles into the polyurethane. Bubbles and poly are a very bad combination. So, Jim Bob is rolling the poly onto the floor with the sponge roller and then wiping the air bubbles away with a sponge brush. I know that they have those wooly polyurethane applicators but Jim Bob didn't like the texture they left behind. This is what he came up with and it is working out great so far, just a bit slower.
Before the poly could be applied, we sanded down the raw washed surface. This will be done a lot! If you will notice, that sander Jim Bob is using is t-i-n-y!
After sanding, Jim Bob had to go back and wipe all the saw dust off the floor with a damp cloth.
The top/right side shows the first coat of polyurethane on the floor. The bottom/left side shows the raw floor. You can really tell how the poly makes the wood grain pop! Of course, this is wet and it won't look this shiny after it is dry but maybe it will look close after 4 or 5 coats.
One coat of polyurethane complete. Four more to go.
We made it back in town after being away on a week long vacation. Now it is back to work. Before we left, we were able to get the floor "washed" and the first coat of polyurethane down. It looks great. Each coat of poly that goes down will make the floor look even better.
The floor was sanded down and wiped clean.
We watered down latex paint in a bucket and used a rag to "wash" the floor. Then we used a clean rag to wipe away the extra watered-down-paint.
The paint was pretty runny and didn't take much to stain the floor.
Jim Bob had to be pretty careful not to overlap or drip the paint. We didn't want it to turn out spotty or darker in some areas.
Finished wash floor with no polyurethane. You can see the wipe marks at this stage but that will go away after the sanding and polyurethane.
Closer look at the floor. After the paint dries, we will sand it down to get rid of any raised surface area. That will allow some more grain to show through the paint. We will be sanding between each coat of poly too.
Our dang cat! She jumped right in the bus and walked all over the place! I threatened her life but she didn't care. I guess she was just checking it out. It would be fun to have little cat paw prints on the floor!